The 2012 Southeast Asia Apocalypse Tour

by Frost on December 23, 2011

I’ve been in Chiang Mai for over a month now. Life is grand, but the clock is ticking.

My lease is up. My month of training fees is up. The Swedish girl is gone. There’s nothing tying me here any more. I love this city, and could happily stay for a while longer. But there’s just one problem.

Bangkok is calling: Filthy, hot, smoggy, sprawling, commercialized, debaucherous Bangkok. There are a dozen reasons why I’ll probably like it a lot less than clean, cheap, civilized (yet still quite rowdy) Chiang Mai. Still, I’m more excited than a kid on Christmas morning.

I just finished an excellent book by English Teacher X, To Travel Hopelessly (HT to Ferdinand). Highly recommend it to anyone interested in travel, SEA, and well-written three-dollar books. ETX rips on Bangkok for several chapters in a way that made me ridiculously excited to see it.

Speaking of book reviews, Aaron Sleazy recently passed along a review copy of Minimal Game. Sleazy is an interesting guy worth following, and as books on Game go, Minimal Game is quite good. I recommend it, with the caveat that we’re a generation of men raised by books on pick-up, and I’m wondering if another book on pick-up is really the answer we need. Sleazy Stories is a good read too, and it’s a genre – masculine fiction – that I feel more comfortable encouraging.

I’m meeting some friends in Bangkok on the 28th, but I can’t wait that long. I have a few things to finish up here, but I should be on the road any day now. I can’t think of a lonelier place to spend Christmas morning than alone, in Bangkok, on the exact geographic opposite side of the world as my family, partying with backpackers I’ll never see again. Should be fun.

The trail I’ll be on over the next two months will be something like: Bangkok, Siem Reap, Phnomh Phenh, Ho Chi Minh, Nha Trang, Ha Noi, Luang Prang, Chiang Mai, and back through Bangkok (I’m sure I missed a few stops.) After that, I’ll be hopping around some islands – Phi Phi, Tao, Pha Ngan, Samet, Samui and Phuket.

Bali? Hadn’t thought about it before, but it recently came on my radar. Hm.

Readers with wisdom to share on any of these spots are encouraged to do so.

While I’m away, I’ll be taking a 2-3 month vacation from Freedom Twenty-Five and the internet in general. I’ve scheduled excerpts from the Freedom Twenty-Five Book every Tuesday and Thursday morning while I’m gone.

Part of the reason for this is that I’ll be backpacking without a laptop, and too busy to update. Above that though, I’ve been writing this blog for over a year, and it’s become a big part of my life. I want to take a step back, clear my head, and think about the direction of this blog, my writing, and my life. I want to go for a walk in the snow.

I will make three promises:

1) I will not 404 the Freedom Twenty-Five Blog

2) I’m writing a book about my SEA travels, which will be awesome and epic.

3) I don’t know what I will do with my future, but I do know that I will continue to write, and I will make it easy for you to find me and follow my adventures.

So remember: This isn’t good bye, it’s just see you later. At least, as long as I don’t:

– Smash my face against a songtaew fender in Bangkok because I’m too cool to wear a helmet

– Get run over by a tuk-tuk while tripping balls on happy shakes in Phnomh Penh

– Use my new-found ninja skills to beat down a gang of politically-connected Vietnamese in Hanoi and spent the next 30 years in a shit hole prison

– Pass out from bucket-sized drinks in Luang Prang and drift out to sea

– Find an awesome beach with awesome waves in indonesia, decide that the rat race isn’t for me, get an awesome job at an awesome hostel, and spend the rest of my life surfing and describing everything as awesome. Gradually forget how to use the internet

Barring all that though, I’ll be back again someday, like Frosty The Snowman. Subscribe to the RSS, follow me on Twitter, and enter your email in the mailing list (coming soon). Now please excuse me while I scream along with my own personalized lyrics to this excellent song, I’m Shipping Up To (Bangkok).

Mike December 27, 2011 at 5:12 am

Actually, just read cednullis most recent link provided by doug, and it is not that bad. The advice is decent. My point above applies mostly to his previous postings on his experiences with Thai girls.

Mike December 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm

lol, what r u talking about? The guy admits to going home with hookers, just not paying for them (and not getting sex, either), and to picking them up at the trashiest after hours clubs and going home to their extremely rough low class hoods. Based on his description of the kinds of apts they have and where they live, he is hooking up with the lowest of the low, and the ugliest of the ug. I know the type. They are ghetto rats. I am sure xsplat is doing the same. Its pretty much par for the course for all you gamer types, in Eastern Europe or Asia.

Frost, what cednulli did is EXACTLY WHAT U WANT TO STAY AWAY FROM. Go to the nicer clubs and get some decent looking girls, not ug poor as dirt ghetto rats.

Doug1 December 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm

For getting with true non pros, check this guy out. He’s a recent American expat in Bangkok, been there a couple of months now I think:

He’s obviously got a real bead on the scene there.

Remo December 25, 2011 at 8:21 am

Bangkok is okay but Pattaya is the best for fun. 113 Baht to get there from Nana bus station. 1-2 hours later you’re there. koh Chang is beautiful also. Nice island, great swimming, and fun to 4 wheel on.

Mike December 26, 2011 at 6:18 am

Pattaya has ugly girls and they are all whores or semi-pros. There are not hot tourists chics there, either.

Nothing beats Bangkok for nightlife in Thailand. Its in a world of its own. For tourist chics, the islands cant be beat.

Oh yeah, and I am sure xsplat is with a *hot* girl in Indo and not some 22 yo third world skank/ho uggg. After all, he is a roissy commenter, right?

Do yourself a favor Frost, stick to the tourist chics and the mid to upper Bangkok non-pros who are into foreigners. And dont trust what any Westerner tells you about Thailand or Bangkok. Including me.

Doug1 December 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Frost–

You should get in touch with Xsplat. He lives in Indonesia, not sure what island, together with a 22 you Indonesian girl. He has lots of serial relationships or a year or so, thinks this one might last. Anyway she has lots of hot friends. He’s hook you up. Was a frequent Roissy commenter back in it’s hey day. Here’s his blog, he probably give an email.

Animal December 23, 2011 at 4:19 am

“Pass out from bucket-sized drinks in Luang Prang and drift out to sea”

You’ll be floating for quite a long time down the Mekong before you hit the sea. If you have the time, make sure you also visit Vang Vieng if you really want to experience a playground for adults. Check into Jaidees bar and ask for a Jaidee bomb or twelve. Ask for the “secret menu” that’s scribbled vaguely on a dirty bucket.

Anonymous December 23, 2011 at 2:31 am