Dan Andrews Is Stalking Me

by Frost on December 24, 2011

Rowan January 7, 2012 at 12:07 am

Sure, wait another year Frost, then everything will be clear.

The longer I live the more I realise that most people are the same and act the same given the same circumstances. Cliche I know but it’s true.

I’ve been working on a software company for the last 3 months and I completely hate it, I have to force myself up every morning. Yesterday I decided to start a business based on something I really enjoy, I have no clue if it will make any money, but I’ll be helping people and get to do something I love everyday. Perhaps I’ll fail hard and become homless again… but being homeless isn’t so bad and I recovered last time.

I say throw yourself at something that intrests you, don’t wait for it to develop into a passion. Assume you’re going to die in two years and go for it, if you’re helping people you can make a living someday. If you completely screw up, will your father come and get you and put you up for a while?

I’ve had a sweet cube job, made 38kGBP/yr with only a single year of ‘experience’ and I’ve been homeless, living in a camp site during winter, living off bread I baked myself on a fire. The former serverly damaged and emasculinated me, the latter made me the strongest I’ve ever been.

I don’t quite know what I’m doing.

Boxy January 2, 2012 at 11:20 am

Great article. I’m not sure if you’re familiar with Sebastian Marshal. He has great resources on Strategy, Entrepreneurship and other cool stuff. He blogs at http://www.sebastianmarshall.com/

Dulst December 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

That is weird how much it matches up, but I think you’re wrong about the 30 day challenge.

Given he mentions affilate marketing, i think he meant this 30 day challenge: http://www.challenge.co/

They claim to teach you affilate marketing in 30 days.

Dan December 24, 2011 at 10:57 am

That’s right. I never took it, but apparently it’s a 30 day soup to nuts how to register a domain name kind of program. A lot of the younger guys I’ve met running online businesses got their start with the program.

Frost December 25, 2011 at 12:03 am

Ahh, I thought I was getting that wrong! I’m about to ditch my laptop for 2 months of spartan traveling, but I think I’ll be checking out the 30DC after that. Between that and grinding through the Sean Ogle SEO course:

March should be an educational month!

Dan December 24, 2011 at 3:52 am

Appreciate the big shout Frost! I was not stalking you, but I am now…..

Frost December 25, 2011 at 12:06 am

Please do, and thanks for dropping by!

Expat Chronicles December 24, 2011 at 1:47 am

Personally I don’t relate to this guy at all. Here are my answers:

You are writing a blog about YOU. The reason you do it is “networking.”
– Wrong. Less than 50% of my articles are about me. I reach out to nobody until recently (post-1000 days).

You are hating your job.
– I’ve had no job for almost three years.

You quit your job and travel on savings.
– I have no savings and I don’t travel.

You are buying products from blogs that make a little money on how to make a little money with your blog.
– I joined a monetizing guide forum from the publisher of GoBackpacking.com, a reader of mine for over a year.

You talk about this stuff with your family and friends.
– I NEVER bring it up among either.

You are failing at affiliate marketing.
– If not trying equates failing, then yes I’m failing.

You try to partner up with your best friend or girlfriend.
– Neither.

You are buying a bunch of domains, starting a bunch of projects, and stopping when competition shows up.
– I’ve started projects, but only stopped one when government heat came down.

You check out the 30 Day Challenge.
– Never heard of it.

You love Zen Habits. You think you could probably do something similar.
– Never heard of it.

You write bitter blog posts about 4HWW.
– Never written a bitter blog post about that inspiring book, but my feelings are in lock step with Frost’s: “If Tim Ferriss errs in overstating the ease with which location independent businesses can be created, his optimism is a necessary counterweight to the barrage of negativity budding entrepreneurs will encounter from the rest of the world.”

Maybe his 1000 days apply to him and his cohorts.