Remembrance Day Thoughts

by Frost on November 10, 2011

Kalim Kassam November 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Frost, I appreciate the recommendation and fulsomely second all your others.

NomadicNeill November 11, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Yeah, I think Vietnam was just as pointless as the rest. The Vietnamese just wanted to get rid of the French and the Communists were the guys who stepped in to do that.

Now the country is about as Communist as China. Definitely worth visiting when you’re in the neighbourhood.

Anna November 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Wear a poppy with pride……honestly?
Remember the lives which we saved and helped, or remember the lives we destroyed.
Good or evil nothing deserves to me destroyed. We destroyed their families their lives of their children. We made them poorer we killed their honour. We are the fault of their defeat.
Do you like to think about the ‘heroes’ who ‘saved’ our lives? Or do you like to think about the war headed men who killed others and destroyed their lives and families. Think about their children for once and not ours. Think how they see this day.
I can honestly say I disagree with Remembrance Day, I know that sounds wrong, but I do. I don’t like how we can spare a day each year to remember a brutal happening which destroyed many lives and scared many others. We seem to be the only ones who like to remember death when happened in horrible ways. I can understand if we had a remembrance day for an achievement of independence or a over powering of a leader, but why do we honestly remember a brutal happening.
Do you enjoy their deaths? Do you think it’s a good thing we destroyed peoples lives and futures?
Think about the questions and reflect. Do you honestly see a valid reason to remember?

davver November 11, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Korea ok, Vietnam bad.

I’d back up what Chad Daring said. Back in the yesteryear when WoW first came out and I played it in college it was very popular with former military. In fact they tend to be the highest “performers” in the game. WoWs reward system is very well structured, like the military. Running a guild and doing a raid is like being in the military. Guilds are organized as hierarchical command structures where you have few rights and have to do things repeatedly, like the military.

I’ve always joked that the reason people like MMOs is that there is a clear link between doing what your supposed to do and getting the reward. In the real world, its much messier. Its not suprise that people escape into a world where things are the way we say they should be in the real world, but aren’t.

Chad Daring November 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Fun fact, jarheads love WoW. I was in a USMC guild during my time as a Warcraft player. By far some of the coolest people its been my privilege to interact with.

Ted November 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’m also a bit curious about why Korea and Vietnam are ok, but not the rest. Our entrances into World War II and Afghanistan can be directly tied to attacks on US soil. No argument on Iraq, nor the subsequent aimless of our leaders in Afghanistan since the invasion. Korea and Vietnam were the largest of a bunch of proxy wars, the ultimate in pissing contests between elites. So I’m having a hard time drawing the same conclusions from your own base assumptions.

Rob November 11, 2011 at 8:33 am

If you disapprove of the current wars because they are goalless and have no end game, I wonder how you can consider Vietnam to be good and just when that conflict also had no goal or endgame? If you think all communists were created equal (that’s your implication), you definitely need to do more reading. You’ve heard of the domino theory, I assume?