I’m Not Even Supposed To Be Here Today

by Frost on October 16, 2011

I quit my job two weeks ago.

Until today, I’ve been busting my ass to get the Freedom Twenty Five Book out the door, laying the groundwork for two businesses that I think have a lot of promise, and taking the necessary steps to pack my life away in a basement and set off for a year or more of globetrotting. In the midst of it all, I’ve been staying true to a few other goals in my life: Eating paleo, living frugally, improving my golf game, trying to maintain some semblance of a healthy sleep schedule, even though my body has always felt obligated to sleep 6am to 2pm every night unless otherwise compelled.

But today – none of that. Today is my day and I’m using it to indulge in every guilty pleasure I have.

I’m writing this at 2am. So far I’ve:

– Slept until noon

– Blown off a golf game because it’s raining out

– Eaten two delicious Montreal bagels, a chocolate bar, and a bowl of ice cream.

– Spent the entire afternoon playing a game called Uncharted 2 on my brother’s PlayStation 3. Side note: It’s fucking incredible. I don’t play video games often, partly because I think it’s a waste of time, but moreso because I just don’t often like them. Uncharted is visually beautiful, very fun to play, and most impressive to me, the story and characters are better developed than 95% of Hollywood movies. Veteran Playstation players in the audience: Is this typical of the games being released now? If so, I may have to rethink my “anti” position on the growing phenomenon of Millenials spending 16 hours a day playing video games in their parents’ basement.

– Gave my dog a piece of bacon. He’s been sitting on the kitchen floor, staring at me while I cook for five years now, almost completely unrewarded. I felt like making it a good day for him, too.

– Wrote this blog post. I’m not going to go back and edit it, because I don’t like editing. I didn’t write it to bait social media sites into linking to me, as I occasionally do. I’m not going to worry about whether or not it’s good enough to publish, as I often do. I’m writing it spontaneously, and selfishly. It reminds me of when I was writing my first few months worth of posts, and I was making a conscious effort to keep this blog hidden from the world. Feels good.

I think I sometimes portray a side of myself on this blog that is focused 100% on self-improvement and conscious living. But every now and then, I gotta have a day like today, chill out, and enjoy the fuck out of it.

1lettuce October 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm

Buy deus ex human revolution. Do it. Now.

Acksiom October 17, 2011 at 11:43 am

Real Made Man, Portal and Portal 2 have it as well. Even as relatively short as they are, they are still contenders for best game ever. I get the same mind-blown reactions to both as to Uncharted 2 when I show them to other people.

Frost, I recommend using people’s “Let’s Play [Game]” videos on youtube as a final filter for games meeting your standards.

Lisa October 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

Great blog. Best of luck on your new adventures. Part of me envies you-I often wish I could just take off and travel the world without an agenda. But I’m a single mom, so that’s not possible right now.

Lost October 17, 2011 at 6:41 am

Ah video games, i dont spend as much time as i used to on those anymore, but i still allow myself one day a month on just gaming… it’s relaxing for me

there are great ones that have been listed already
Mass Effect series
Deus Ex
Dead Space

if you like Fantasy check out
The Elder Scrolls series
Dragon Age series
The Witcher series (definitely geared for adults)

today’s AAA shooters have no story and require little brain waves in order to play, though if you like to shut your brain off, those are what you’re looking for

If you’re more of a strategy guy check out
SINS of a solar empire
Total War series
Supreme Commander

With so many games out, there are only a handful worth playing, do your homework before buying, or you might get the dreaded buyer’s remorse

HollowedMan October 17, 2011 at 5:01 am

Glad to see someone else views the 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. sleep schedule as normal. Makes not having to go to a job all the sweeter.

Real Made Man October 16, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Uncharted 2 is the best game ever. Nothing comes close. There are no other games that have that “oh shit, it’s like I am in a movie!” feel. Wait for Uncharted 3 next month.

Ferdinand Bardamu October 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Longtime jaded PC gamer here. Never played Uncharted (or any PS3 game for that matter, though I’d love to try out Heavy Rain one of these days), but if you’re into thought-provoking stories, I’d recommend Deus Ex. It’s really fun (if dated) and the plot touches on many of the ideas that we discuss in the alt-right blogosphere. Plus, it’s so old that your current computer can probably run it easily. I recently finished playing the new DX prequel, Human Revolution, and I was pretty impressed – you might like it too. You can skip Invisible War, the crap sequel from 2003.

Also check out Mass Effect and its sequel, and I think you mentioned that you’re already playing Starcraft 2 (I’m not buying until it comes down from its insane $60 price point), but don’t be fooled – most games nowadays are dumbed-down garbage for brain-dead proles. The golden age of video gaming was roughly 1993-2003. I gave a list of my top ten games of the past decade a while back, and all but three of them were from 2000-2001:

Acksiom October 16, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Your estimation of Uncharted 2 as well as your comparison to Hollywood movies is accurate. The Uncharted games are not typical overall, but they’re a good example of the quality of the top tier games. Others include InFamous 1&2, which are probably closest in style and quality to Uncharted, albeit much more sandboxy and super-powered ; Heavy Rain, which is a an almost completely story/character driven modern day noir thriller; and as Blues mentioned, RDR.

The Uncharted games are basically the most “on rails” out of that group; you go places and do things in a linear order determined by the designers. RDR and InFamous are more open and while there is a larger primary story and quest sequence, you can just wander around as you please and do side quests at whim. Heavy Rain is somewhere between those two; you have some choice of order of main quests, but there are no significant side quests, and locations are bounded as in Uncharted.

I wouldn’t change your position just yet, but as you can see from Uncharted 2, games have come a long, long way, and are more than comparable in quality with top film and TV now. I’m about to go mobile myself via RV here in the usa, but I might just keep my lease another month, because Uncharted 3 drops on the 1st, and I’ve got a light-controlled man cave with a 10′ screen at 1080p here.

Sojourner October 16, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Video games today have a better track record of being good then movies. You can go almost half the year without a good movie released but usually there’s at least 1 a month with video games. Presentations are usually better then movies anyways. But don’t think the gold is just lying anywhere you look. There’s still a lot of crap to dig through if you don’t pay attention to reviews but nowadays it’s pretty easy to find the absolute gems (like Uncharted).

Blues October 16, 2011 at 11:43 am

P.S. : If you’re into sci-fi, like an Aliens setting and enjoy a good scare (and if your brother has it) try Dead Space 2.

Blues October 16, 2011 at 11:37 am

The Uncharted series is indeed a rare gem but that doesn’t mean there are no other games that sport well developed characters or good stories like Red Dead Redemption, Metal Gear Solid (the first one, 3rd also had critical acclaim but never tried it) or Alan Wake (on Xbox 360 only) to name a couple, they just are not as common as the usual meat-head , violent, blood-fest like the God of War series (as much as i love that one).
[/game-nerd]