Game Isn’t Rocket Science

by Frost on September 2, 2011

Upon first discovering the seduction community, it’s easy to conclude that learning how to meet and seduce women is a new and cutting-edge science, and that the men who can consistently sleep with attractive women are special. The seduction community offers tools that can turn the mediocre man into something extraordinary. Game appears to be a sort of magical toolbox, a collection of knowledge that men have been unknowingly ignorant of for all of human history.

But this is inaccurate. Learning Game is more about discarding old lies and rediscovering old truths than it is about forging ahead into the unknown.

The following video is an edited collection of coffee commercials from the 1950s. Watch it. What do you see?

If you’re a typical westen man in the 21st century, you see something awful. The men in that commercial are being rude, and sexist, and mean. You see these men and feel pity and revulsion, as they are sad anachronisms from a backward age.

Hopefully you’re not a typical man, though, if you’ve been reading Freedom Twenty-Five. So maybe you see what I do.

I see men with swagger. I see men unafraid of having wants and needs, and speaking up about them. I see men acting like men, not cowering simps begging for morsels of affection from their women. Not one of the men was needlessly cruel to his wife – just honest. Collectively, their attitude was: “Sweetie, you make terrible coffee. But it’s not the end of the world.” What should a 21st-century man do in the same situation? Pretend to like the bad coffee? Start making it himself?

Those men simply had no fear of calling their wives out on some bullshit. They had expectations of their women, and had no shame in letting them know if they failed to meet them. (As an aside, expectations cut both ways – ladies, note that the men of this era were far more likely to want to get married and provide for a family than my generation is. Might the two phenomena be related? But I digress.)

Compared to them, today’s men are a gaggle of mewling manginas. They would never speak to their girlfriend’s like that, because they know the utter shitstorm that would ensue. “What the fuck did you just say? I make you coffee and you COMPLAIN about it? How about you make your OWN fucking coffee next time?

Ever been to a wedding? I went to a few this summer, and it seems like every third joke out of the speakers’ mouths was a half-joking admission that once married, the man’s wife will have his balls tied up neatly in a sandwich baggie. Ladies of the 21st century, you wonder why we aren’t interested in settling down?

So, enlightened gentlemen of the alternative/man-o-sphere/Game community: When you watch the men in the coffee commercials – how would you rate their game?

I think they all do quite well. They are confident, they lead, and they have good body language and tonality. They’re comfortable with themselves, and they’re comfortable with their masculinity. Any style of Game over and above those two traits is just spice.

But how did they get so suave? Did Mystery’s grandfather teach them a workshop? Were they accessing some crude version of Alt.seduction.fast on ENIAC?

Of course not. They just knew how to act like men, because their culture didn’t drum the masculinity out of them at an early age.

Learning Game is actually more a process of unlearning, and rediscovering what your instincts and ancestors already knew. It is about undoing the damage a lifetime of emasculation has done to you. A modern day pick-up artist with a time machine would have very little to teach the men who existed outside of the effeminate bubble in which we now live. Men who write about Game today are just rediscovering old truths.

Four hundred years before Fast Seduction, Shakespeare wrote the story of the greatest pick-up artist fiction has ever known. Men, if you’re interested in the ultimate profile of an Alpha Male, learn at the feet of The Taming of the Shrew‘s Petruchio. And girls, don’t worry. The Bard has you covered as well:

Act V, Scene 2.

PETRUCHIO

Katharina, I charge thee, tell these headstrong women
What duty they do owe their lords and husbands.

Widow

Come, come, you’re mocking: we will have no telling.

PETRUCHIO

Come on, I say; and first begin with her.

Widow

She shall not.

PETRUCHIO

I say she shall: and first begin with her.

KATHARINA

Fie, fie! unknit that threatening unkind brow,
And dart not scornful glances from those eyes,
To wound thy lord, thy king, thy governor:
It blots thy beauty as frosts do bite the meads,
Confounds thy fame as whirlwinds shake fair buds,
And in no sense is meet or amiable.
A woman moved is like a fountain troubled,
Muddy, ill-seeming, thick, bereft of beauty;
And while it is so, none so dry or thirsty
Will deign to sip or touch one drop of it.
Thy husband is thy lord, thy life, thy keeper,
Thy head, thy sovereign; one that cares for thee,
And for thy maintenance commits his body
To painful labour both by sea and land,
To watch the night in storms, the day in cold,
Whilst thou liest warm at home, secure and safe;
And craves no other tribute at thy hands
But love, fair looks and true obedience;
Too little payment for so great a debt.
Such duty as the subject owes the prince
Even such a woman oweth to her husband;
And when she is froward, peevish, sullen, sour,
And not obedient to his honest will,
What is she but a foul contending rebel
And graceless traitor to her loving lord?
I am ashamed that women are so simple
To offer war where they should kneel for peace;
Or seek for rule, supremacy and sway,
When they are bound to serve, love and obey.
Why are our bodies soft and weak and smooth,
Unapt to toil and trouble in the world,
But that our soft conditions and our hearts
Should well agree with our external parts?
Come, come, you froward and unable worms!
My mind hath been as big as one of yours,
My heart as great, my reason haply more,
To bandy word for word and frown for frown;
But now I see our lances are but straws,
Our strength as weak, our weakness past compare,
That seeming to be most which we indeed least are.
Then vail your stomachs, for it is no boot,
And place your hands below your husband’s foot:
In token of which duty, if he please,
My hand is ready; may it do him ease.

Z September 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Well put, sir.

Greg September 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Sly, the core attribute of an alpha is that he is who is is without faking himself to be liked by others. To achieve this state you must be told to fake yourself less and be more authentic. Game, which advises the opposite, drives men deeper and deeper into their betanes.

Sly September 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hey Greg,

did you ever see any of the RSD (real social dynamics) stuff, especially Tyler’s Blueprint Decoded? It’s a perfect example of how game can be used to turn betas into alphas without all the faking, peacocking and using canned routines? I suggest you go and watch it.

Another reason why I’m pro-game: the foundations of game rest in scientific fields such as psychology, evolutionary psychology, sociology, biology etc. Personally, game enabled me to understand women and their behavior, as well as my behavior and how it affects women, and has sent me on a path of self-development in hopes of realizing my manly potential. There is nothing wrong with that.

I say that game is merely a tool, a collection of knowledge, and it’s up to the individual how he uses it. If you’re so anti-game, it probably means you haven’t been using it correctly.

Greg September 6, 2011 at 1:24 am

Pechorin, what youre talking about is simple self-esteem, which is the antithesis of game – every think why its called *game* and not self-esteem?

You are making a common mistake – who says *what you are doing right now* is being authentic? It almost certainly isnt. The contrast is not between game telling you to change and anti-game telling you to do *just what you have always been doing*, but between game, which tells you to fake yourself in a new, *better* (to be liked), way, and anti-gamers, who tell you to change from being the fake person you are now as a result of societys teaching and become who you REALLY are, and the last way to become who you REALLY are is to do game, which tells you to fake what you think, fake what you feel, and fake what you believe.

The example in this post, of a guy not liking his wifes coffee and telling her, has nothing to do with game, it is an example of a guy being authentic and genuine about what he REALLY thinks – thats the opposite of game. Game would be a guy telling his wife her coffee sucks or is *average* even if its excellent just to keep her on her toes and make her doubt herself. You think Im joking? Check out almost any game blog – roissy, roosh – if you dont believe me. Dude, if you like the coffee, be a man and say it, if you dont, be a man and say it, dont play games.

I would be the last to deny that modern men need to CHANGE what they are currently doing and evolve from that state – but towards GREATER authenticity, towards being honest and genuine about their true thoughts, feelings, and values, and game is the last thing that is going to get you there.

Everyone is so afraid of being themselves because what if who they *are* sucks? Well let me ask you, who would you respect more, the guy in battle who is honest and genuine about being afraid or the guy who is quacking inside and puts on a macho front? And who do you think is more likely to run when the bullets fly, the guy who faced his fear honestly, or the guy who is presenting a desperate front to the world? And who do you think is more likely to eventually evolve away from his fear, the guy who faces it honestly, or the guy who is desperate to pretend it does not exist?

The truth is even if you do *suck*, so to speak, you will be more respected if you are genuine about it than if you put on a shaky facade, and you are more likely to develop out of it, if possible. Think about it.

Pechorin September 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm

@ Jordan: Associating game with faking yourself is tempting but wrong. Why? The anti-game position is that I should “just be myself.” But what is myself? If I’ve been raised in a way that didn’t fulfill my nature as a man, I am not my true self. Game is about recovering your true fulfilled masculine self from the poisons of bad upbringing and an anti-masculine culture. (It’s also about taking a realistic look at how women behave today, and what attracts them.)

A lot of people struggle with this argument, because of the notion of “true self.” It’s not fashionable today to believe that we have a nature, an essence, as men. Liberal individualism teaches us that we choose our identities, and denies that there’s anything natural about manliness. It says that the only nature of manliness that there is is whatever men happen to be. It says that it’s meaningless to distinguish between men who have fulfilled their masculinity and those who have not. This is wrong, and before you progress in game you have to realize why it’s wrong.

Susan Walsh September 4, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Good post. I’ve often thought that Kate and Petruchio are a great example of game. Coincidentally, I just cited them for a great example of how conflict between two people builds sexual tension. You can bet that when Petruchio finally had her, there were fireworks. More satisfying that the requisite 7 hours I daresay.

Frost September 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Shakespeare is the man. Completely ridiculous that our education system forces him on kids too young to appreciate him though. It also helps that I’ve been reading enough old books lately that I can understand his English much more easily. Which post was that, btw? I don’t seem to remember it.

Sly September 6, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I’ve had Shakespeare’s complete works sitting on my shelf for couple of months now; I guess I need to catch up with my reading.

Btw, Frost, most of the old authors had deep knowledge of interpersonal relationships and human nature in general. Have you ever read anything from Robert E. Howard? Conan is probably the best example of how a natural acts – read any paragraph where he talks to women, and you’ll see what I mean.
And of course, I mustn’t forget Oscar Wilde – he is probably one of the few men that truly understood the dynamics between men and women.

Sly September 4, 2011 at 5:14 am

“The reason why the men of our generation are so awful with women – so terrible, that any man with a modicum of confidence and social acumen can clean up because of the lack of competition – is that we’ve been brought up in a culture that degrades and stifles our masculinity. We have no male role models, often no fathers, and it’s turned us into a bunch of women with dicks.”

This. I’m new to Game, but what I’ve come to realize is that because of lack of strong male role models, social conditioning and generally feminist propaganda I, like most modern males, have grown up to be a complete beta. Since I’ve discovered Game, instead of focusing on memorizing dozens of openers, routines, or dressing up like a peacock, I took another route: I’ve decided to get rid off all that bullshit beliefs in my head that have been drilled into me since childhood.

There is certainly merit to the kind of Game Mystery and co. teach aka “outer game”, but I think it mostly comes down to the “inner game” aka your beliefs and mindset. The beliefs an average male today has about women, relationships, sex etc. are simply dreadful.

Nice write up, Frost. Cheers.

Simon September 3, 2011 at 3:13 am

Hahahaha, Jordan, absolute cracker mate. So many men have bought into this game bullshit, without examining the premises it rests upon.

Intent is everything. You can either live like a man, or pretend to.

Frost September 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

Simon and Jordan, do you both not care at all about sleeping with women? I’m honestly not tooling you here, genuine question. If the answer is no, than I respect your position that it is unmanly to change your behaviour at all to achieve this goal.

For the vast majority of men however, banging hot girls is an important part of life. I’d even argue that most men can’t focus on anything else until they get this need met. What’s wrong with studying the behaviours that lead to success? How is that fake? Do you prepare for job interviews, work out, or practice at the sports you play? Are those activities not fake as well?

Personally, I’m a man who chases after what he wants and gets better at achieving goals by learning and practicing the skills that make those goals come easier. In that sense, closing my eyes and plugging my ears to Game would be very un-genuine of me.

Jordan September 2, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Oh I know if I just go through enough e-education programs I’ll finally understand how faking yourself to be liked by others is really the essence of masculinity….I’ll eventually get it, it’s just that pesky little thing logic hasn’t been fully killed in me yet.

a September 2, 2011 at 7:46 pm

It’s OK to be confused Jordan, everyone was at some point. Keep at it and you’ll understand eventually.

Jordan September 2, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Oh, thats what game is? Because I thought game was more about faking yourself and pretending to be someone you aren’t in order to be liked by others. Silly me.

I thought if your wife makes bad coffee and you tell her you don’t like it you are just being authentic and being yourself, which gamers say you should never, ever, be.

I thought game was more like if your wife makes GOOD coffee you have tell her you don’t like it in order to show her how tough you are.

It’s funny how I misunderstood that – now you are telling me game is just being authentic and being yourself. Funny.