Buy A Kindle

by Frost on September 28, 2011

Holy shit.

Amazon is fucking incredible. Kindles now cost less than a hundred bucks. I’m pretty sure I paid twice that a few months ago, and three times that last year (I break things a lot). Here’s their lineup:

Basic Kindle ($79)

Kindle Touch ($99)

Kindle Touch 3G ($149)

Kindle Keyboard ($99)

Kindle Keyboard 3G ($149)G

If you regularly read anything longer than a stop sign, I strongly, STRONGLY recommend you pick up one of these bad boys now.

Also very tempting is the Kindle Fire, which is basically 80% of the functionality of an iPad, but for two hundred bucks:

Kindle Fire, Full Color 7″ Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi

I’ve had a basic Kindle for about a year now and I love it. At this price, you’re a fool not to get one. Unless you never read books, in which case you’re a fool anyways. FYI, buying through my links above is a nice way to throw a buck or two my way, at no extra cost to you.

Daniel October 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Every book on which the copyright has expired is free. That’s the best part about owning a Kindle. Those of you who are worried about Amazon owning your content, just download all the free books. Some are only available in PDF from (via Google Books), but almost anything that’s even remotely widely read has been digitized by volunteers into clean, easy-to-read versions. Basically, every single classic book ever written, and in multiple translations in the case of non-English works. I downloaded 200 “classics” just last month on a whim and have since blasted through two Walter Scott novels, three Chesterton books of essays, Moby Dick, and an abridged “Analects” of Confucius.

Get one!

Jack Dublin October 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm

For anyone who owns any ereader, I advise getting the calibre ebook program. It’s a convenient library, but it’s real use is in converting ebook formats. I have a kindle and I use calibre to convert mostly ePub files to mobi files although it can convert tons of different formats.

guest September 30, 2011 at 8:27 am

Screw the Kindle, Long live the Kobo!

Kobo Touch eReader Video Review

Brooklyn September 29, 2011 at 10:47 am

I prefer to have a paper copy of most books I read and enjoy. I consider the building and owning of my own physical library to be a worthwhile investment. That said I definitely agree that there is a degree of convenience that ebooks have, especially if you are traveling or on the go all the time. Now that the price has dropped significantly and the hardware has improved I probably will pick up a Kindle Touch but more as a compliment to the books I have than as a replacement for them.

(The real problem that I have with ebooks is that you don’t actually own a book as much as you are purchasing a license to read an electronic copy. That wouldn’t be a major issue if ebook prices were much lower than paper copy but whenever I look at a recent book thats going for something like 12 or 15 dollars in physical copy, the ebook is either equal price or only a couple of dollars less. There’s no reason ebook license prices, i.e. what we are paying for instead of the book, should ever be above the 10 dollar mark. The trick that Amazon and all the rest have done is convince the public that they are purchasing a book when they actually paying for something that they have much less rights over. My personal recommendation is that if you really find something you are reading to be worth cherishing, there’s nothing wrong with buying a Kindle/Nook copy to have on the go but you should invest in having a physical copy that can’t be wiped out or remotely altered at the whim of some company.)

MarcTheEngineer September 29, 2011 at 9:59 am

Buying one RIGHT NOW might not be the best of ideas… Amazon’s business plan looks to be about making Kindle so cheap that everyone will have one (because they want to make money selling books rather than Kindles)

Arch September 29, 2011 at 3:10 am

I will NEVER buy a Kindle. Amazon has seen fit, in a creepy Apple-esque fashion, to give themselves the ability to remotely delete content from it and you can’t do a damn thing about it.

When I buy a device I expect to be its Lord and Master Forever and Ever Amen. Anything less and they can stuff it up their wannabe-authoritarian asses.

Rob September 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

You think it’s worth paying the extra 50 or 70 bucks to get the 3G access?

J.W. Black September 28, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I’m old school and like the paper…but I finally broke down 6 months ago and got one. I agree, GET ONE. I’ve read more books in that 6 months than I have in two years due to the convenience factor.