I’m A Nerd-Baller, And Proud Of It

by Frost on August 10, 2011

Mannerheim August 28, 2011 at 11:58 am

Funny post. Honestly, you do tend to go on and on about how you have an amazing career, flawless health & fitness, deep intellectual interests, a parade of hot chicks at your beck and call, just enough self-effacing humor to be relatable, etc. I thought you’d achieved self-aggrandizement perfection the time you mentioned how sex with hot girls is a major component of your exercise plan, but I think you topped it with: “yes, I was captain of the football & rugby teams in high school, but I was also a WORLD-CLASS STARCRAFT PLAYER (and still am today even though I only play a couple hours a week”. If you were a character in a book I’d assume you were a Mary Sue, maybe that’s a good working definition of success.

Frank August 15, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Me and my bro (who is much more of a brah than I) play Magic Cards and Counter-Strike 1.6 on the regs

John August 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

Is there a man under 40 who does not play video games? The “cool bros” love halo, madden, call of duty and gears of war. Also if you’re going to be playing PC games it’s better to build your own PC rather than buy one, you can get a far better PC for the same price. I am also a computer enthusiast, no one has ever given me shit about my nerd hobbies, who the fuck says you can’t be a nerd who also hits the weights hard?

MarcTheEngineer August 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

Fuck Starcraft… DoTA is where you get real “nerd” cred…

lol

whiteboykrispy August 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm

“Hi my name is whiteboykrispy, and I used to be a video game addict”

I wasn’t the captain of the football team, but other than that, this is exactly how it went for me.

I was huge into Starcraft and Red Alert (and all its sequels and shootoffs) in middle school. Me and my friends played it all the time, and it was all I could think about during my waking hours. I was thoroughly addicted.

I too stopped playing these “nerdy” games in high school since I wanted to be perceived as cool and made fun of gamer nerds as I climbed the high school social ladder. I’m glad I did because it helped me get out there and not be a nerd anymore, but I never stopped loving the games or feeling the “itch” to play.

My probably stems not so much with a particular game, but for my intense intellectual interest in all video games that appeal to me (which are most games) and the fact that I pick them up fast and get good at them quickly. I can get hooked on any game that is difficult- RTS, shooters, etc…

During my sophomore and junior year of college, when I finally got a 360, I had CoD Modern Warfare practically on an IV into my arm. I’m gonna brag a little- I am THAT fucking good at MW and MW2. I used to relish beating the fuck out of ranked clans in team deathmatch, myself on top of the leaderboard accompanied by a team of mostly shitty random people. In the lobby afterwards, the clan’s curses, death threats, affirmations that I was homosexual, and assertions that I use cheats or mods or you name it (no) brought me endless enjoyment even as they all backed out of the lobby.

I fucking loved kicking everyone’s ass in MW2 so much I skipped a lot of classes so I could play, and there were times when I wouldn’t leave my room for hours. My grades dropped along with my social interactions.

Needless to say, I realized how big of a junkie I am with video games and have voluntarily cut them almost completely out of my life. I sold all my games, and only use my 360 as a dvd player now. I really should sell that too, but I just can’t.

Video games can be fun in moderation, but I proved to myself I couldn’t do that. Now, I just play with my brothers every now and then. I know I need to stay away, so I do.

tenthring August 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Meh, SC2 is just SC1 with some better graphics and a few strategic changes that people vastly exaggerate. Coasting on its predecessors fame IMO.

RTS’s have moved on. I like the Relic games myself. They emphasize combat, tactics, and action while de-emphasizing APM counts and worker micro. The community is smaller, the ladder system leaves a lot to be desired, and twitchy Koreans with way too high APMs complain it doesn’t give them the same advantage. But unless your going to quit your job and become a pro gamer who practices 12 hours a day you aren’t going to stand a chance against those guys in SC anyway, I’m sure you’ll find plenty of quality competition from good people that will challenge you.

BP August 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

A better strategy might have been to become a regular poster over there and establish a reputation as a legitimate SC enthusiast and contributor. Once you built your reputation you could start directing people to your blog to help them improve their non-SC aspects of life game/health/confidence/etc. Good concept of directing traffic to your site, execution’s a little iffy.

Enjoy your stuff BTW.

Gaming Glitch August 10, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Hi Frost, great read! I actually run a SC2 Blog website which is doing extremely well. I am looking for some blogger/writers that just love to discuss SC. Please contact me if you have any interest in this.

{ 1 trackback }