How to lose 10lbs in Three Days

by Frost on August 10, 2011

This is a very special entry in the Wednesday Afternoon Gym Class Update series. I’m going to share the ultra-secret diet that enabled me to to lose ten pounds in only three days.

It’s easy, anyone can do it, and it doesn’t cost anything. In fact, you’ll save quite a bit of money on your food bill. Toilet paper is another story. Introducing: The Freedom Twenty-Five Three Day Diet. Please leave a comment if you think you can hook me up with a good patent lawyer, because this shit is hawt.

1) Sit down for dinner.

2) Ensure that the woman cooking for you does not understand that just because the smaller slab of pork is fully cooked, doesn’t necessarily mean the larger slab is cooked as well.

3) Be a man and take the large piece.

4) Spend three days with zero appetite, shitting lumpy chocolate milk

5) Check scale

6) Profit!

Baseline weight at the beginning of the The Freedom Twenty-Five Three Day Diet: ~225lbs.

Current weight: 214.5lbs

Problem?

Seriously though, having to spend few days sick at home wasn’t the worst thing in the world. Having just finished a busy month, and gearing up for two even busier ones, it was nice to sleep in, read, watch some movies, and play some video games. What can I say? At times, I’m a nerd-baller and proud of it.

Now that I’m fully recovered, I’ll be putting the weight back on almost immediately. I’ve been eating full meals, and I’ve got a good full-body ache going on from an intense half-hour workout of jump-squats, free lunges, pull-ups, bench press, and plyometrics yesterday.

Over the next two months however, I will actually be dropping ten or so pounds. But hopefully via healthier means than diarrhea and starvation.

I’m pretty happy with my current body composition, but because of some major lifestyle changes coming in mid-October (announcement coming soon) I won’t be weight training with any regularity for some time. I’ll be dropping some muscle weight regardless, so I’d like to do a controlled leaning out now, so I don’t slide into chubby-ex-muscle-man mode. Here’s my game plan, taking into account that I’m already eating what I consider to be an optimal paleo diet, which to me is 80-90% good paleo food, with semi-frequent concessions at dinner parties, bars, family BBQ’s etc, and exercising quite a bit:

1) Smaller portions

I only eat 1-2 meals a day, so I have a tendency to gorge at each one. Salad for lunch? Double steak, double cheese please. Bacon and a huge 4-egg omelette for dinner? Sure. As a young, paleo-abiding, active, resistance-training man, I’ve gotten away with the unhealthy habit of eating well past the point of satiation, and into the realm of comatose, without it having a negative effect on my body composition. From now on, I’m reducing the portions on my standard meals (three specific meals make up about 75% of my caloric intake) by 25%.

2) Lighter Weights

I’m changing my workout routine to focus on body weight exercises, rather than heavy weights. No more 3-rep sets of bench and leg press. Pull-ups become pull-downs once I can’t do more than 12. More yoga, more stretching, more plyo.

3) More Light Activity

I’m going to start walking/jogging to work once a week. No big deal, you say, but Google maps informs me it’s a three-hour trek. Also, more biking, and a round of golf every weekend.

4) Embrace hunger

I already fast one day every week or two, but I’m rarely hungry outside that window. I’m going to start embracing the slight hunger of having gone eight hours without a meal, and cherish the peckishness that comes from only eating a half-meal when my body expects a full.

5) Saw off my arm

If I don’t make it down to 215lbs by September 1st, and 205 by October 1st.

Have you been successful at losing weight and leaning out recently? Are you working on it now? Please share any experiences and advice in the comments.

dannyfrom504 August 24, 2011 at 11:05 am

frost-
lol. my buddy is a 6’1″ 10% body fat, 200lb beast. kid LIVES to work out. he’s an 8404 Corpsman (spent a lot of time with thte Marines). and he’s probably as psychotic as i am.

i paleo to an extent. however i do prefer to eat my own cooking vs. fast food/etc.

for me working out is about being functional to a mission, not getting ripped. i need to be able to handle my body weight, plus close to 100lbs of gear while negotiating shitty terrain and possibly being shot at and dragging shot marines to safety.

primallykosher August 21, 2011 at 11:08 pm

You can up the carbs quite a bit for training days on a Paleo diet. I would use sweet potatoes for it. Starches really help with refueling glycogen. On those days its best to eat less fat too. IF didn’t really help lean me out. I’m starting to lean out now that I eat only 3 meals a day, no snacking and attempt at 50 grams of protein for breakfast. Helps with leptin levels which determine hunger. There are at least 4 hormones involved with hunger but leptin is the one created by fat cells.

Frost August 23, 2011 at 10:42 am

Very active people can indeed eat a lot of carbs and stay lean. In fact, I think serious athletes SHOULD carb up, two or three hours before competing.

Funny you should mention breakfast. ate one today for the first time in months, and I feel awesome. Maybe it’s time to reconsider my daily 16-hour fast…

Cool blog btw!

dannyfrom504 August 19, 2011 at 8:14 pm

i’m 5’4″, weigh about 130lbs. i’m not chiseled or ripped, i’ve dropped about 12 pounds 6-7 months ago. i simply started eat 5-6 small meals a day.

all my workout are elipptical or jogging (i’m in the military…..i have to run) and body weight based. i pick 6 specific exercises and circuit them. example.

5 pull ups
10 echo count mountain climbers
10 echo count push ups
10 lunges with 10lb dumb-bells
1o boxers
10 echo count dips

repeat this cycle 3 times without stopping. then pause for 2 minutes and do another single cycle, rinse repeat for 30-45 minutes. i’ll switch up the 6 exercises frequently.i make up the workout the night before.

IF i heavy lift i’ll do 5 sets of bench presses, squats, and leg presses. then do a light version of the above workout.

i eat whatever the hell i want. my boy/co-worker out here is a personal trainer. he said diet is fuck all unless you’re trying to fight off high cholesterol levels.

Frost August 23, 2011 at 10:58 am

Hence why you should trust anonymous assholes with blogs over professional PTs =)

Sounds like a solid workout, if your goal is to become a strong and efficient killing machine. If you want more size, you’ll have to incorporate more of the second type of workout.

Diet is crucial to your health, more important than exercise. Your buddy doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Be a pal, try and sell him on paleo!

Chico August 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Frost, I just wanted to elaborate on a couple things from above. Last weekend I was on a major cheat weekend, camping with a bunch of engineering students. The one day, I woke up a mess and had 2 and a half jumbo hot dogs out of necessity. It was several hours later that I finally had 2 delicious pork steaks and 2 pieces of corn on the cob. So my meat intake was pretty high…if you call hot dogs meat.

Honestly, other than when I woke up, I didn’t feel hungry for the entire day, and I’m sure I was probably in my calorie budget on 2 meals. Did I feel great? Were my energy levels high? Oh hell no, lol! But I did read somewhere about how protein intensive foods will fill you up for longer on the same number of calories as carb intensive foods (even slow digesting “complex” carbs). So that weekend was an interesting little unintentional experiment.

But on to my next point about paleo. I can definitely see the advantage of getting more of your carbs from fruits and veggies, as opposed to grains. I’ve only been calorie counting/estimating for a couple months now, but I’ve naturally made a shift away from grains as I’ve noticed how even a slice of bread is very calorically dense. A 130 calorie slice of bread doesn’t fill you up the same way a 130 calorie chicken breast does. Fruits and veggies, on the other hand, are very calorically sparse and contain tons of fibre. You can seriously volumize your food without worrying about going over your calorie budget. Plus you also get the added benefit of so many micronutrients that are missing in even the most pure, unrefined grains and starches.

OffTheCuff August 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm

I’m down to 160 from 210 over about a year and a half, 5’10”. The key was only making changes that I am happy with making permanently. Revamped one meal at a time. Dropped all heavy carb loads — no more cereal in the morning, no more big plates of pasta at dinner. Added lots of fruits and vegetables and protein, and let the carbs just fall off naturally. None of this was really planned. I didn’t count calories, and don’t own a scale. I do own a tape measure, though… 38″ to 31″ waist. 42″ chest (fluffy) to 44″ (not fluffy).

In fact, I cheated with lots of beer pretty much every week. That’s right, I’ve lost 50 pounds while still drinking a good deal of booze each week. Go figure.

Last fall I started doing bodyweight exercises a few times a week. Saw immediate results in my physique, so that encouraged me to research more, and wound up a more formal meal plan. I then added whey protein powder to my daily breakfast. That kicked things into get.

Now I eat 125-150g of carbs most days. Of that, 30g are grains. Everything else is from fruit, vegetables, dairy, etc. I cheat every once in a while. As long as I stick to the basic pattern most meals, I’m good.

ZERO cardio. Bodyweight exercises tire me out enough that I’m panting by the end of 5th set.

At almost 40, I’ve already beaten my best college weight, and with a lot more strength.

A good friend of mine (6’7″) has lost 200 pounds by doing roughly the same diet. He, however, trains 2 hours a day, 6 days a week and lifts heavy.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Lot’s of great new success stories on this post! Congrats to you as well.

I throw in a slice or two of rye toast with breakfast occasionally, and I’m surviving. Also booze it up 1-2 times a week. Pareto principle rules!

Tim August 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

The slow-carb diet in Tim Ferriss’ Four Hour Body worked for me. Starting weight in May: 208. Last Saturday: 188. It’s not too far away from Paleo, the addition of beans and legumes keeps you regular, and I’ve never really suffered hunger pangs. Just eat until you’re full, and take a cheat day on Saturdays. The Cheat Day is brilliant because if you’re craving something or feeling deprived, you just put it off, then wallow. Somehow, that works. Exercise program was more or less the same as before, just some cardio, bodyweight stuff and yoga. I’m considering signing up for kettlebell instructions to kick it up a notch. Still 10 to go to my college weight. (And I’m deeply into middle age).

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Congrats!

Tim’s diet is basically paleo, but derived from an analysis of different foods’ biochemical effects on the body. More empirical, less a priori. Results are basically the same though.

Chico August 11, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Can’t say I really get the whole Paleo thing. I’m pretty sure you need some measure of carbohydrates to fuel high intensity workouts like weight-lifting or intense cardio (either HIIT or steady state). Frost, are you a crossfitter by any chance?

However, what I have been doing is working. Through sticking with a whole foods diet (paleo + some dairy and complex carbohydrate sources (mostly oatmeal at breakfast)) and eating about 500 calories below my TDEE, I’ve lost 20 pounds since April (I’m 164 now, at 5ft8in), while slightly increasing my strength. I’ve really leaned out in my face, arms, and legs, and got rid of the school-induced gut entirely. I’m starting to notice girls checking me out more lately and making comments about my physique, so no way I’m stopping!! I should have about 10-15 pounds left to get a visible 6 pack.

For exercise, I weight train 3 times a week, focusing mostly on compound movements with barbells, working all the major muscle groups. I do cardio 20-60 min every day of the week, alternating between running intervals, cycling, and bodyweight circuits. It helps me stay in a caloric deficit while eating more, as there’s no way I can lose weight through diet alone with an appetite like mine. Fasting is not an option. I get very snappy when I’m hungry.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Ahh so I guessed right, you are eating high carb!

First of all congrats on all your success. That’s fucking awesome progress.

I bet you could have even more success if you started eating a low-carb, paleo-inspired diet and tinkered with your training regimen.

Your diet and exercise schedule sounds exactly like my high-school/undergrad routine, and it worked pretty well for me too. If you stick with it, I think you’ll continue dropping pounds and leaning out until you reach your goals. The problem is:

1) You are young. As you age, maintaining an ideal weight on a conventional diet will become more and more difficult.

2) You are very active. You won’t always have 10+ hours a week to workout, and even if you do… do you want to?

3) High-carb diets have negative health effects beyond making you fat. Heart disease, diabetes, cancer, immune system, and pretty much any of the diseases that kill off humans in their 70s and 80s today are caused or exacerbated by the standard american diet.

A low-sugar, no grain diet will leave you healthier, leaner, and much more energetic (no more feeling “hangry” i.e, hunger+anger) and you’ll find body composition maintenance much easier as you age.

For me at least, I was in great shape in my early 20’s on the exact same program you have – lots of weight training, lots of rugby practices aka cardio – but started to get soft and stiff and weak when I became a yuppie working stiff. Paleo = slightly better short-term health, much better long-term health, and for a fraction of the time and willpower spent.

I’m guessing you’re new to the scene, so click on the sidebar links to Mark’s Daily Apple and Kurt Harriss. I also highly recommend Tim Ferriss’ Four-Hour Body. And of course, read my archives!

Cheers,

Frost

Chico August 12, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Hi Frost,

I’d like to address your points one by one:

1) I’m only one year younger than you :P. But yes, I’ve noticed ever since puberty stopped (age 17) that I can’t get away with eating whatever I want anymore.

2) I work out about 7 hours a week, 1 hour each day. But you’re right, once your schedule gets hectic, you do need to find ways to condense it. There were points in my life previously (my whole undergrab) where I made the mistake of trying to “cardio off the fat” that I would rapidly gain in the school year (I’m a classic case of the yo-yo). Because I spent so much time running, I simply had no time to weight train like I did back in high school. My strength stagnated. And because I paid little to no attention to diet, my eating habits were completely unsustainable for the times I couldn’t afford to exercise (whenever school was going on). I could’ve done a lot better damage control otherwise.

3) I do see some merits to the Paleo diet. Most specifically, replacing more of your grains with fruits and veggies. I will touch on that in another post above.

cem August 10, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I’m completely with kPad: The daily 16-hour intermittent fasting is the way to go. I picked up the idea from the Leangains website, tried it and found that it is incredibly easy to implement and to stick to. Basically you just skip breakfast. If you eat your last meal of the day at 8 pm then you fast till noon the following day, making lunch your first meal of the day. It helped me break my plateau.

That, and Paleo, is what made me really lose weight. I am now 95% Paleo, and it is all thanks to an early post by Frost from last year.

NMH August 11, 2011 at 8:10 am

I would be concerned that fasting causes muscle loss. It is possible that all your weight loss after fasting for weeks/months is entirely due to muscle loss and not fat loss. I know that I lot 10 lbs over 2 years and DEXA scans said it was entirely due to muscle loss.

You have to find the weight loss technique that works for you, I dont think fasting is the best way to go for everyone.

kPad August 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Not if you’re working out (note: by working out, I mean resistance training, weights. Not endless cardio). By working out and playing with fasted states, I’ve put on muscle easily.

Chico August 11, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I cannot possibly understand why you or anyone else would rather starve themselves as opposed to adding cardio on top of your weight training routine and simply eating more.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm

If you’re eating low-carb, fasting isn’t difficult at all. In fact I much prefer eating 1-2 meals a day, both for convenience, and because I’m genuinely hungry (as opposed to just low blood sugar) at each meal time. IF on a conventional diet would lead to major crashes though, so I don’t recommend it if you’re still eating high-carb.

Then again, why are you still eating high carb? Also, Chico, google for Kurt Harris’s articles on chronic cardio. Get off the treadmill!

NMH August 10, 2011 at 4:15 pm

If your problem is too much body fat (like me, Im above 30%) then I have heard you need to lift very heavy weights with fewer reps using some kind of progression. I use Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I wouldn’t find shedding a few pounds of BF for a more ripped look, but I’ll have to lose some muscle too. At 30% BF yeah, definitely lift heavy and build up lean mass, while mixing in long periods of light activity. Fasting as mentioned above is also a great strategy.

Jack Dublin August 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm

I built up a tad more muscle over the last few weeks with a buddy of mine. We started doing something he calls force on force, I think. We both got some toy pistols that fire plastic pellets with CO2. The slides move back and forth thus loading a new pellet from the magazine, making it work like a real pistol.
We pick a place in the city( usually residential or near a park) and wander off in different directions. One of us is a mugger, the other a civilian. When we run into each other we have a close range shoot out, about three feet apart. At that range drawing the gun is tough, and it usually devolves into hand-to-hand until one of us has the chance to draw or just ‘lost the fight’.
Very tiring and a good way to boost awareness. Considering the news we figure its a good way to get some exercise.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm

That sounds like a blast. I like to start drunken wrestling matches with my friends any chance I get, no homo. Grown-up cops and robbers seems pretty cool too.

kPad August 10, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Rather than doing IF for one full day a week, I’ve been playing with having a fasted state every day, averaging about 16 hours (includes sleep time). Works quite well and still lets me eat whatever I want during lunch/dinner time.

This, plus eating Paleo has worked well for me.

Frost August 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Yeah man, same here! Dinner at ~9pm, lunch at ~1pm.

I also throw in a skipped lunch every now and then for a 24-hour fast.

{ 1 trackback }