What’s Your Identity?

by Frost on July 20, 2011

Frost July 29, 2011 at 10:59 am

TGOM, thanks for the kind words.

I’m curious: How come you aren’t convinced that eating paleo is an excellent dietary starting point? What’s your current diet like?

Rowan, I’ll have more to write on my identity in future posts. Short version: I’m going to save the world. But one step at a time…

TGOM July 29, 2011 at 1:21 pm

The reason I never got into paleo is that my identity is that of a long distance runner, or atleast it was. Thus I was having to consume 5000 calories a day which is quite hard to do on meat alone plus carbo loading helps increase the amount of glycogen readily available–super important if you plan on burning a ton of calories at a high intensity.

My diet can be summed up as trying to avoid processed food as much as possible and drinking a lot of water.

Back when I was running on the order of 120-150 miles a week I would eat one large meal a day (for instance zucchini, broccoli, carrots, red and green peppers and tomatoes sauteed in olive oil on top of a box of spagehetti with two pounds of ground beef in spaghetti sauce) with lots of meat, vegetables (beans) and a starch with the rest of the meals consisting of fruit i.e. a pint of blueberries, blackberries or a quart of strawberries. Plus atleast two gallons of water a day. My opinion is that drinking an excessive amount of water each day is the most important part of my diet (based mostly off of the fact that I feel much better if I drink a ton of water than if I don’t).

Paleo isn’t necessarily a bad place to start with diet (cutting out lots of sugars and fats and adding lots of healthy food like meat and vegetables), but avoiding complex carbs (i.e. wheat, couscous, and other whole grains) doesn’t seem to be the solution to me either.

Frost July 29, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I respect that. Endurance sports aren’t ideal for your health, but it’s better than the couch. Some people are just wired enjoy long distance running, and as long as you’re doing it for YOU and not for your health, by all means keep it up.

Here’s a relevant MDA article (also check out the link in the first sentence):

And I also recommend you check out the chapters on endurance sports in Tim Ferriss’s 4HB.

Cheers!

Frost

Rowan July 25, 2011 at 2:40 am

I’ve been trying to decide what I’m going to write since the day you posted this. So far this is what I’ve come up with:

“I want to be self-employed and location independent”

I love travelling, I hate my cube, I love freedom, I hate having a boss, I love independence, I hate corporate life, I love software.

At the moment I’m working on my own software, it would be my dream to run a software company on the road as it were, pay the bills with my mad programming skillz. Is that enough though? Can my identity be Independent Software Developer? Freelance Programmer? Free Hacker? The Travelling Developer? Hobo Coder?

I feel I need something bigger to strive for. Perhaps Adventuring CEO of a Major Software Company?

I like adventure and business. I’ve been considering going to China and bootstrapping a company.

Frost July 26, 2011 at 10:44 am

Sounds like a mindset I can relate to.

Writing software is something you can pretty much do anywhere. Have you read the four-hour work week?

Rowan July 27, 2011 at 3:13 am

I certainly have read it, he makes some good points.

Since no one has asked, how do you view your identity Frost?

TGOM July 28, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Rowan, I would suggest you figure out a project you want to work on (preferably one that can sell). Personally I find the idea of computer code fascinating but I know so little about programming (anything other than numerical stuff and I get lost fast) that when I get down and try to write anything at all get frustrated.

To Frost (since I assume you’ll read this too) I must say I have enjoyed much of your blog and although I don’t agree with some of the stuff you talk about (paleo for example) you seem to have your head on your shoulders and it is an interesting read. Also you’ve reconvinced me that I need to start doing yoga (it was something that I had wanted to start but never got around to it)

Cheers Mates
TGOM

Rowan July 28, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Thanks TGOM, I am working on something now and have over a dozen customers line up, just need to push forward and register my company.

Also, I can highly recommend Yoga, it has almost instantly improved my swimming length and times.

Wald July 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

My identity: I want to be the man that makes his own small country on an island where he can be whoever he wants free of other people’s meddling in his own affairs. When World War III (or IV) starts, I’ll be fidling away as major countries are at each other’s throats, and my country is too small to worth taking into consideration.

At present, I am in the university system (military) of the U.S. and I plan to get as much training and experience as I can before I set upon the next stage of my life. I’ve always wanted to be in the military, and with the friends I’ve acrrued and the experience I will get, I believe I can get the next stage of things.

cem July 24, 2011 at 3:52 am

Not horrible, rather: very appropriate to our shared goals here. Pretty much the story of my life.
There is a lot of truth in these posts by DD. Thank you, Frost, for recognizing this.

anon July 22, 2011 at 4:50 pm

“Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.”

I think you know the author of that quote.

Horrible article by delusion/damage, horrible re posting by you.

If you want to be something, start doing it. Faking that you do it means little.

{ 1 trackback }