Blog-Whoring 101

by Frost on July 28, 2011

I walked past a homeless man today, muttering to himself on the street. “Crazy bastard!” I thought. But now I ask myself: Am I any different?

Freedom Twenty-Five has grown by leaps and bounds since I first launched it. But it’s been several months since I’ve had a major bump in my traffic and subscriber numbers. Sure, I’ve found a decent-sized (and generally very high quality) audience. But I appear to have stagnated well short of what I could call a “fuck you” level of traffic.

Before I leave the continent and travel the world indefinitely, I want to build a much larger audience. Is it because I’m vain? Absolutely. Only a liar writes publicly, with no intention of being read. More tangibly, a larger readership results in more feedback and suggestions to help me work towards the goals I’m writing about, and will make the inevitable task of monetizing my writing easier and more lucrative.

So without further ado, I’m setting the following goal for Freedom Twenty-Five: One Thousand RSS Subscribers by October 1st, 2011

This will be roughly five times my current regular readership. It will require blog-whoring on a epic scale – guest posts, article submissions, elbow-greasing, bribes, begging, reddit-whoring, comment-whoring, IRL-whoring, threats, and possibly even the creation of 800 new alternate email addresses by yours truly – but I will prevail. I will grow my E-dick until it is 11 throbbing inches long.

In subsequent posts, I’ll outline the techniques that have brought me (some, moderate) past success in self-aggrandizement and float my current plans to reach the 1000k marker. Until then:

1) Fellow blog-whores, what has and hasn’t worked for you in the past? Any resources to point me towards?

2) I’m adding the feedburner widget in the sidebar so you can track my progress.

3) SUBSCRIBE

Rob August 1, 2011 at 12:36 am

I agree with Simon–you’ve more or less exhausted the physical self improvement part. You write about game and relationships occassionally, but why would I read your blog for that info when so much else is out there.

I only read a few blogs regularly–Crime and Federalism, Roosh, Strike Lawyer –and those have something to varying degrees that your blog lacks: pain. You write about how you hate your job (well, most of the time) but, aside from that, your blog makes it seem like you’ve led a charmed life in virtually every respect.

I enjoy and read your blog but, as far as I can tell, there’s not much there beyond a) your exercise routine, b) drinking/chilling with your friends, c) your romantic relationships, and d) your quest to travel and write for a living. That’s a great life I’m sure. I don’t knock it. But, to this reader anyway, it’s hard to maintain my interest on that alone. For the most part your image here is one of being better than everyone else. You try to impart how other people can do it too. A valuable service? Sure. But you can’t expect to maintain and grow readership with that alone.

My advice? Get more personal. Try being vulnerable on here. You give off the air of invincibility. That’s not interesting and I can’t imagine it’s true. Also, why would I buy your writing? Your not an expert on anything and there’s unlimited free content on the stuff you write about.

I like your blog and you seem like someone worthwhile. That’s the only reason I say any of this at all.

PUA Vault July 29, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Shameless plug, but getting your readers to ‘vote’ on your articles here:

would propel you to be listed here:

I aggregate over 180 blogs, and that’s how I got here for this entry :-)

Simon July 29, 2011 at 5:34 am

Hello Frost,

I’ll give you some feedback since I like your site a lot.

I think my favourite parts of your site are the self-improvement stuff. You’re very good at incorporating and testing things in your life that help you grow immeasurably. But I think you’ve sort of stalled on that front. You have probably exhausted most physical self-improvement topics (save for one which almost no one talks about), such as diet, lifting, sleep, etc.

I think if you want to take the next step you have to go into the next realm – the mind. Why not start trying to work out the ultimate intellectual framework; similar to what Moldbug is trying to do, but one with a much stronger foundation than fragile utilitarianism? That’s a major part of the blogosphere that’s missing at the moment. We’re all sort of riffing on the same topic, and the only people really trying to establish new frontiers are Moldbug and Bruce Charlton.

What do you think? If you want me to explain myself more, I will.

Frost July 29, 2011 at 10:42 am

Simon, thanks very much for the comment!

I’m curious though, what’s the physical self-improvement topic that no one talks about?

Regarding the next step, part of me would love to dive into the royalist/neo-reactionary blogosphere. Moldbug in particular is a major influence of mine, and I’m a regular reader of BGC, Foseti, and the rest of the royalist/neo-reactionary blogosphere.

The reason I hesitate, and I think it’s a good one, is this: I’m just a kid. I’m not a humble kid, and I think I’m both smarter and wiser than the vast majority of 25-year-olds, but I’ll need at least a half-decade of reading, thinking and experiencing before I can contribute meaningfully to that conversation.

What I can do however, in the meantime, is help prepare my generation for their ideas. The only way we’ll be able to actually reverse the course of decline is if we’ve got our shit together.

That said, I’m currently grinding through the long list of *real* history and political science texts that I’ve collected from UR, and parsing the great works of Austrian economics. As much as I want to start building castles in the sky today, I know I’ll be much more valuable once I’ve fully fleshed out my beliefs.

Simon July 30, 2011 at 9:22 pm

Frost,

I understand what you mean when you say you think you can’t contribute meaningfully to the conversation. I feel that Moldbug and bgc are miles ahead of me.

Perhaps then, a mere discussion of the books you’re reading?

As for the thing no one talks about, I may have to do a post on it.

PS.
I take it you’ve read this article by bgc?

One of my favourite articles, and a real game changer for me. I wish Moldbug would respond to it. What did you think of it?

tenthring July 28, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Why should I subscribe when I can just read it here.

Frost July 29, 2011 at 10:24 am

Dude, you have no idea how much easier an RSS feed will make your life. I follow 30-50 blogs and read almost everything the authors write. Total time spent – 1/2 an hour, every day or two.