The New Workout Plan

by Frost on June 2, 2011

D June 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm

You should think about making a home “gym” if you have the room. If like me you can’t afford to buy a bunch of weights there’s still plenty you can throw together; bags of sand, PVC, tires, ropes, big rocks, etc. range from dirt cheap to free for the taking. I won’t write a book on it here but plenty of info is out there on the web. I’m not saying cancel your gym membership to lift sandbags and punch tires in your yard, but that sort of thing makes for great supplementery work to weight training.

“one day, I’ll get tired of cigar and gin nights that stretch into mid-morning”

That’s when you’ll buy a rocking chair and sit around on the porch all afternoon with cigars and gin.

Ezra Moon June 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I’m digging that standing work station idea, if I gather up enough courage I might just try it out, 8 hours a day is 8 hours too long.

amb June 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hey Frost:
Can you tell us a little more about your standing workstation?

Frost June 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

Keyboard, mouse, monitor on cardboard boxes. Head poking above cubicle inviting questions from curious but risk-averse co-workers. Bureaucratic HR department won’t spring for a “real” one without a proven medical condition despite mucho evidence that sitting is bad for you, ie:

I will likely do a post on it in the near future.

Rob June 3, 2011 at 3:40 am

I just started taking fish oil and vitamin D on the advice of Marks Daily Apple. I’ll be interested to see if I notice changes. I’ve been 90 percent Paleo for three weeks, and I’ve noticed increases in vascular definition. What changes have you noticed from taking the fish oil? Do you take vitamin D and have you noticed anything from that?

MarcTheEngineer June 2, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I’d suggest checking out the following article.

Actually read the guys whole philosophy… makes gaining lean muscle while cutting fat a breeze (especially because it seriously reduces the amount of time required for eating)

b-nasty June 2, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I workout and eat healthy (most of the time), so that I can enjoy myself occasionally. Unless you are paid to compete in pro sports or be a fitness model with 5% BF, why spend the level of effort/sacrifice required for those goals. Achieve a healthy BMI, pack on some muscle and definition, eat smart, and relax.

Now that it’s Summer, I agree with your dim-gym comment. Try to mix up the w/o to be outside. Maybe some HIIT hill runs, pushups on the patio, pullups at the playground, etc.

jules June 2, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the fish oil tip, I can’t get my proteins from meat (unless I sneak it in) so I’m reduced to beans and lentils.

Frost June 6, 2011 at 11:20 am

Sneak it in? Please tell me you aren’t dating a woman who forbids you to eat meat.

{ 1 trackback }