Just Start Doing Stuff

by Frost on May 19, 2011

FordRangerGuy June 1, 2011 at 9:36 am

“Can I die a happy man, once I’ve read every book mentioned in The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages? Not at all. But it will help me understand the world, my place in it, and how to bend it according to my will.”

Strangely, I just picked up Bloom’s book from the library when I read this today.
I think it’s a great start. I’d love to hear later that you’ve stuck with it, because I think it’s a worthy project for self-enlightenment. Just my .02

Btw, yours has become a favorite blog of mine.

Mister Lettuce May 31, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Oh, and this post made me think of a great short story by Norman Spinrad:

Mister Lettuce May 31, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Smart advice, Frost. It seems that so many people in our world are content when they hit a certain point. For some, it’s at High School: once you’re the top jock or biggest players, that’s all that matters. Same thing with college: you live your life dulled with alcohol and women, and you think you can live like that forever.

But we can’t stay the same and remain on top. Stagnation will cause us to crumble.

The top high school jock now bags groceries at the supermarket.

The college fratty is now bloated, bald, and aimless.

We have to challenge ourselves.

Extinguish May 31, 2011 at 4:37 am

That Western Canon looks to be an impressively long list. I know “Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” is, I believe, over 1200 pages.

Mackroyal44 May 30, 2011 at 11:14 pm

You guys with success are complaining about lives people would die to have. But, then again guys in the game seem to never be satisfied with what you have. I bet you a homeless bum would trade places with you any day of the week.

ABlackGuy May 22, 2011 at 1:18 am

Thought I was the only one doing this type of thing.

Princeps May 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm

This is great. Just what I needed. Though I will say it’s tough to snap out of a funk once you’re in one.

Neill May 19, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Great advice.

I noticed this a couple of years ago that people whom I admire for accomplishing a lot don’t necessarily have it all planned out from the start (as I used to think). They just pick something to focus on and move towards it, one thing at a time.

Yes it’s great if you find your ‘life’s purpose TM’ by the age of 16, but otherwise just keep picking things to move towards them.

I mean what else are we gonna do?