Five Things You Should Feel Good About Spending Money On

by Frost on March 14, 2011

Sunny October 22, 2012 at 7:54 am

Right there with you mate. I scour my local bookstore every goddammed chance I get. A few thousand books later, and about a third of them read, I’m still adding to my collection.
My fiance’ thinks I’m crazy for only liking organic foods. Fuck it. I know what’s good for me.

Dan March 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

To me, living cheap isn’t about being miserable…it’s about having money for stuff you actually want to do. I notice a TON of people today who have no hobbies or interests whatsoever…their whole lives are all about pop culture and they spend all their spare change on stupid gadgets, new cars, clothes, bar tabs, etc that really don’t add to life at all. I would kill myself.

I live cheaply so I can try to do enjoyable things and have hobbies that make life worth living…instead of going to bars and lounges all the time get your own humidor and liquor cabinet and just hang out with friends that way; you won’t be paying the outrageous bar markups so you’ll be able to afford better drinks and smokes. (I for one don’t like the ‘get overdressed and make a public ass out of yourself’ aspect of barhopping so YMMV) Instead of getting a new car all the time…take good care of the one you’ve got and use the money saved to gear up and go on trips. Or do the traditional manly activity of buying an old classic and restoring it. Start a functional gun collection and make regular range trips. Go do cool stuff in foriegn countries…seriously you’ll be surprised how much you can do with a modest income if you spend it wisely.

Zen Buddhist March 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm
Zen Buddhist March 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm

You are right to deprive the consumer beast of nutrients.

Watch this 4 hour BBC documentary about how this culture was fabricated during WWI when Sigmund Freud’s nephew was hired by the US government and US corporate business to embed psychoanalysis in everything from our politics to our media to our economy.

MarcTheEngineer March 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Big yeps on 1) and 2) – I have a tendency to go overboard on 1… Food brings me enormous enjoyment and I spend way to much indulging it.

3) I agree with and actually ended up spending the extra cash on buying a house in a more expensive area – but that was mostly an investment decision on a house that was rather underpriced considering the area during December 2008 (The only dip that occurred in my regional housing market was during the winter of 2008, the house I bought is already worth at least 60K or approximately 30% more than my purchasing price… going to sell it soon and pay off all my old university debt)

Frost March 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm

I refuse to let any of my friends and family buy suburban or exurban property without a fight. Sooner or later, the western world is going to wake up and realize how awful (and unnecessary) commuting is, and non-central property values are going to plummet.

Or maybe not, and people will continue to give up 3 hours/day in traffic for their McMansions. If that’s the case, it might push my misanthropy far enough that I’ll go on welfare and get a WoW account to avoid ever having to leave my house, so losing money on real estate won’t be my biggest concern.

Jokah Macpherson March 14, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Hey, I found your blog a couple days ago through a link from the Audacious Epigone. I just wanted to say that I really like these budgeting lists, especially the second one. It describes my natural tendencies almost perfectly. I currently save over 20% of my gross income, although this is about to take a serious hit when I move from the suburbs to my downtown metro area, but I think the premium is worth it for being able to walk to work – commuting bores me to death.

Frost March 15, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Welcome! Happy to see he’s a reader, although he may rescind the link if I reveal that I’ve probably ruined a few of his DMB concerts as the drunk, screaming 18-year old asshole in the row behind him…. “PLAAAAYY FORRRTY ONNNNE!!!!” Sorry AE.

I don’t mind commuting. I do ~30m each way several days a week when I sleep at home, and it’s the easiest time of the day to read for me. Driving is a bitch though.

sestamibi March 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Next to the term “square footage”, all too frequently used in place of the proper concept “floor space” in realestate-ese, nothing is more irritating to me than the term “living at home”. WTF does that mean??! I live at home too, and so do my wife and son here with me. If you want to say “I live with my parents” you should say that. There’s nothing shameful about it–no matter how old you are! I did it during my 30’s before I got married and during a bad down time in my life. I wasn’t happy about it (since I was a homeowner before and since), but I never concealed it either.

NomadicNeill March 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I’m very similar in my spending habits.

A distinction I also make when spending is trying to choose Experiences over Things.

I more willing to spend on something that will provide me memories than something that brings clutter to my life.

Once exception is guitar playing but I don’t feel guilty about that because it’s my reason for being and it’s a very efficient investment. I get thousands of hours of entertainment for the money that I spend.

Frost March 15, 2011 at 12:35 pm

I love people who complain about not being able to afford traveling, but own late-model cars and $3000 sofas. If you want to know what a person truly values in life, ignore what he says and look at his bank statement.

I’ll have to remember to ask you for tips on taking a bulky guitar with me on the road when the time comes…

{ 1 trackback }