Overheard on the Elevator

by Frost on February 17, 2011

Three successful-looking middle-aged men

M1: “So what are your plans for the long weekend?”

M2: “Mostly just work around the house. Clean out the garage, vacuum, clean the bathrooms.”

M3: “Yup. Gotta run some errands, pick up a new kitchen table, do some cleaning.”

Two admin women, mid 40’s. No wedding rings.

W1: “Have you ever been to the racetrack? It’s a lot of fun.”

W2: “No, I haven’t. I wouldn’t know the first thing about what to bet on.”

W1: “Oh, it’s easy. They have the odds posted. And besides, I only bet two dollars a race. You can have dinner first, and if you get bored of the races, you can go play the slots.”

Another guy on my team:

Frost: “Hey Jason. So you’re going on vacation next week! Where are you doing?”

Jason (35ish, single, quiet, lonely): “Oh… nowhere this year. Just going to take it easy and relax at home.”

This is your life, and it’s ending one day at a time.

Extinguish April 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I have to disagree on divorce killing your mojo. I feel better, younger, and happier now than at any point since I met that harridan. As the jews say, “Never again!”

Marriage: every man’s personal holocaust.

Rivelino March 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

this “overheard at the office” could be a great series. keep it up.

NomadicNeill February 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm

While the corporate world wasn’t for me, I can understand that some guys will thrive under it.

There are many ways to live an authentic life.

Pjay February 20, 2011 at 5:06 am

Marriage and/or divorce will kill your mojo, with the former’s effect being oftern more permanent than the latter. As a single guy in my 40s, there is something viciously beautiful about hitting on/dating girls in their 20s or bored, decadent divorcees in their 40s.

Most married men return to their slave dens without a whimper after a few years of conditioning, the light extinguished in their eyes.

Better a hungry freeman than a fat slave.

My Name Is Jim February 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Working in cubicleville didn’t kill mine, parenthood did. Kids will destroy everything interesting about you if you let them. I’ve been trying to recapture some personality but it takes time and effort to establish talents really worth having. And there’s always something left undone with kids, they take more supervision than a bad employee. Well now they’re school age at least.

Bri February 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hey… found your blog on 20SB.

For me… it took… ooohhh… about a year before corporate America killed my fire. I’m currently working on rekindling it.

justadude February 18, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Loving this blog frost. From a fellow mid twenties dude, keep up the good work bro.

Mike February 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

@Pete, @Richard: The post goes deeper. Why don’t these men have anything else going on in their lives. Here’s my two best guesses.

1. The middle aged men have been hen-pecked to death. Pretty much any middle-aged, married man is a slave to his wife. To avoid their fate, don’t get married.

2. The 35-year-old has declining testosterone. He probably doesn’t lift weights, and eat a diet high in protein and saturated fats. To avoid his fate, lift heavy weights, eat a lot of protein, avoid refined sugars, etc.

After reading this blog’s archives, I’m guessing the author has a more anti-corporate “Fight Club” attitude about the men. Indeed, his post asks, “How many years can you spend in a suit before your fire goes out like theirs did?”

There are, however, a lot of guys earning some cash while wearing a suit who still have a nut sack. We are in our 30’s and 40’s but still fucking 19-year olds. We have all the pop and swagger we had at 25 – only now we have judgment, discretion, and some spending cash.

There aren’t a lot of us out there, as we are part of a secret society. But we are out there. You just need to know where to look….

Pete February 18, 2011 at 3:04 am

@Richard

The point is that these people have nothing going on in their lives.

Susan Walsh February 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Scary! Clean the bathrooms? Who says that to colleagues?

Richard February 17, 2011 at 6:08 pm

I am not quite sure of the point you are making here – but it seems disturbing.

{ 1 trackback }