There is No Such Thing as a “Safe” Career

by Frost on January 9, 2011

Trenches March 24, 2013 at 10:50 pm

This blog is awesome, the inspiration for it is moving, the section on job prospects for young lawyers is dead on, and the first paragraph of the Law section is mindfuckingly stupid and naive.

Turner December 29, 2011 at 2:21 am

Fucking high-five and half for you my man. This was a great post. I reached similar conclusions myself. My dad is a lawyer, and while the money he earns is good, he works long hours and I think most of his success stems from mad people skills (which are parlayed into other endeavors at the same time). I have many friends graduating in law now with heavy debts and dismal job opps. I am sure a talented one could make it big, but if you had the gumption and skills to do so, you could probably do it another route anyways.

I also reached the same conclusion, although maybe a bit late, on the bullshit that is academia and teaching. After graduating from my prestigious Uni, I went back for a master in Europe to set myself apart from the herd when I could apply for a better MBA in the future. However, this experience in grad school made me realize how all these professors just slang old material around and back pat each other. ALways being pressured to produce “new” research. Yawn. Often irrelevant anyways. Unless of course you are dealing with the hard stuff (sciences that is:)).

My mom is in real estate. Killed it for years, but now things are slowing and the stagnant economy means less houses are moving. Those rentals are looking more like shackles. With more internet sites like zillow, realtors have a tougher time because consumers ask, why am I am paying 3-6% commission when I could do it for 1% or less.

But I still have yet to find what that mystery answer is. I guess it lies somewhere between being able to live independently and enjoy what you are doing.

Keep it up. And fuck the naysayers.
-Turner

50fifty50 December 11, 2011 at 5:01 pm

“The tech world is a nice place to be, if you can hack it”

That put a smile to my face haha!

Much respect for you. I too aim to start my own business, but the travelling will come after!

Will January 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm

And the military? You get treated like shit, get shot at, bombed and when you finished; a handshake and the door. But if life has no real meaning, it is not so bad…

Ancel De Lambert January 26, 2011 at 2:21 am

I would like to add the Legal Satyricon as a blog that points out the uselessness of Legal School, and is run by some really cool lawyers, the blog owner of which writes often for the Spearhead.
When it comes to teaching, try to do it because you like to teach. In which case, stick with elementary or college. People subconsciously realize that middle and high school are pointless, and thus take out their frustrations on their teachers. Also, hormones, ick.

omarion January 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm

“Finance is still a pretty lucrative field to get into. Yes, there is a lot of bullshit within our tanking financial system, but most of the work bankers do is real. Assets must be allocated, M&As must be negotiated, bonds and equities must be issued and valued, etc. The western financial system is well overdue for some sort of hard reset, but asset valuation will always be a useful tool to have in your belt, whatever changes may come.”

Oh fucking spare me. The “work” bankers do is even more useless than that of lawyers. Despite Lloyd Blankfein’s conviction that his firm “does God’s work”, the truth is that Goldman Sachs and the rest of Wall Street contribute zilch to society as a whole.

Want a worthwhile, relatively secure job? Medicine.

Xamuel January 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

One of the factors is that machines are obsoleting more and more jobs. You mostly seem to be focusing on social factors, but even if all social factors went in these professions’ favor, there is the inevitable automation which will obsolete many of them.

I’m on the academic career path myself, in mathematics so I have a little solace there. I’ve been thinking, though: perhaps the future for mathematicians is not the university, but a kind of “mathestery” system modeled off the medieval monastery. It would be infinitely more appropriate for research mathematics than the university, where the math department is really kind of a misfit right now…

Simon Rierdon January 16, 2011 at 11:15 am

Just found your blog through Ferdinand’s weekend linkage post and I think you’re spot on with your observations. The trades are the place to be right now, there’s such a shortage of qualified personnel that wages are being inflated through the roof. I’m an industrial inspector (another field where the shortage of personnel is at the critical stage) and I can tell you that my business has never been better. I like your blog, going to link it to my site.

Frost January 11, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Sweet! Thanks Joyce. Me and you against the world…

Proto May 24, 2011 at 4:41 am

I don’t even think even the military is secure. We have too much debt at home to be fielding soldiers all over the place. Just learn a lot of trades and get qualified for them. You’ll at least be able to juggle some jobs here and there.

Joyce January 11, 2011 at 4:44 am

Keep it up. You have one dedicated reader in me.